Serious Game to improve the social perception of recycling in the sphere of water
Have you heard about the «YUCK effect«? It is a term to refer to the visceral reaction of disgust by some people facing reclaimed water, which could also be called «puaj effect». What causes this rejection is distrust because of contact with reclaimed water even it meets the legal and quality standards. Many people consider this type of water as waste water, therefore they have a negative perception and acceptance of urbans recycling systems. How to pass these barriers and improve community support the wastewater reuse systems? Efficient water resources management is an issue of common interest that needs the involvement of all entities to raise and increase the social awareness and restore the ecological balance.
The ReuseTIC project: Serious game to improve the social perception of recycling in the sphere of water, with file IPT-2012-0592-310000, is funded by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness in the framework of the call in 2012, through the Programa Nacional de Cooperación Público-Privada – subprograma INNPACTO, along the line of Articulation and Internationalization of the System, within the Plan Nacional de Investigación Científica, Desarrollo e Innovación Tecnológica 2008-2011.
Serious Games are tools with learning objectives, which allow players to acquire predominantly practical knowledge and skills and even help to solve specific problems and encourage citizen participation.
Creation of a service for companies of the water industry in order to provide them with a tool that meets two specific objectives:
- On one hand, helping to improve the perception of water reuse by users and to get over the rejection on its application, through a Serious Game based on the advanced use of IT and taking into account basic principles of the social growth of the Internet in the future.
- One the other hand, this service will able to collect and analyze data from user interaction in order to guide strategic decision making in connection with the concept of increasing community awareness of water reuse and technology implementation for municipal politics. For example, decisions which allow exploitation of non-conventional water resources, like as implementation of recycling and reuse procedures in order to convert wastewater into water capable of human consumption.
The application will contribute directly to increase awareness of sustainable water use taking advantage of the fact that IT are obviously adopting because of the change in the production model.
Consult information about this project on: https://sites.google.com/site/reuseticexterno/el-proyecto
Results from this project will affect solutions and services offer in all sectors which will make use of them, as technology sector as the sphere of products and applications for intelligent management of natural resources.
- CETaqua Centro Tecnológico del Agua
- With the collaboration of Fundación para la UOC
- With the collaboration of GeCon.es